Monday, October 17, 2011

Introduction

I'd first like to introduce myself. I'm Steph Abernathy, high school student, age 16, half-way fluent in German and I've got a passion for fashion to say the least. Fashion is such an important industry in our lives. Some people recognize it, some people don't. I always think of the scene in the movie, The Devil Wears Prada, when Anne Hathaway's character scoffs at the woman holding the two turquoise belts saying, "They're just so different..." Some people understand the glamour, the effort, the time, and the beauty in a perfectly executed outfit. Some people I know laugh at me when I talk about my ability to change 100 times before finding the outfit for my day.
I'll be talking and giving my opinion about the latest trends going on right now and in the past. I'm the type of person who is a hardcore reader of magazines. I get Glamour, Bazaar, Seventeen, and previously Elle (although that was not a favorite). I am an aspiring designer, but we all go through our times of questioning our passions and abilities. But enough about me! Let's get to some fashion.
On my bed right now I have the most 2 current issues of Bazaar. August 2011 and the Special Issue of the Fall/Winter 2011. I also have 2 very old Seventeen's that date back to February 2009 and April 2008. I really enjoy picking up older magazines and finding trends that are either coming back or something that re-inspires me. About the newest Bazaar I'm not interested in what the newest designs are. Sure, it's nice to see what people are coming up with, but what's really interesting is what the Editor-in-chief's are wearing. After all, they are the people who choose what everyone sees in their magazines and they definitely have interesting senses of style. Someone who I look at a lot is Amanda Brooks. I read her book about personal style and it really sent me on a rampage of innovation and inspiration. She looks and finds people I hadn't even heard of or seen before for her inspiration. Amanda's style is still so chic and not even close to ridiculously over the top like some of the designs out there today. Also, Yasmin Sewell, fashion director of Moda Operandi, is wearing this gorgeously structured blue coat on the title page for the section of interviews. It's got these gold buttons on the sleeves and a gold belted waist and hits her just at the knee, a blue flowing dress wisps from underneath and the chunky sandals she pairs with it just get my mind flowing.

I think that's all I can think to write about this week but I've definitely got some more planning to do for next weeks entry! Until then, Tschau!

No comments:

Post a Comment